If you have a TP-Link Archer Wi-Fi router, you must update it urgently. Security researchers have identified a malware called ‘Mirai’ specifically crafted to target a vulnerability in these routers. It is crucial to update your device immediately. Here is everything you need to know.
How Mirai Malware Exploits TP-Link Archer Router Security Flaw
The security flaw in TP-Link Archer routers allows the Mirai malware to infiltrate these devices, taking control of them and incorporating them into a botnet. Once the devices are part of the botnet, the cybercriminals behind Mirai can use them to execute DDoS attacks, causing significant disruptions to internet services worldwide.
In a previous article, I explained what a DDOS attack is. You can read it HERE.
Risks Associated with Mirai Malware
The Mirai malware severely threatens the security of your TP-Link Archer Wi-Fi router and your connected devices and personal information. The risks include:
- Loss of control over your router and connected devices
- Slowed or disrupted internet connectivity
- Unauthorized access to your personal information
- Involvement in large-scale DDoS attacks
Updating Your TP-Link Archer Wi-Fi Router to Mitigate the Risk
It is essential to update your device’s firmware to safeguard your TP-Link Archer Wi-Fi router from the Mirai malware. Follow these simple steps to update your router:
- Visit the TP-Link support page by clicking here
- Search for your specific TP-Link Archer router model
- Download the latest firmware version available for your device
- Log in to your router’s web interface by entering the default IP address (typically 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) in your web browser’s address bar
- Navigate to the “System Tools” or “Advanced” tab and select “Firmware Upgrade.”
- Upload the downloaded firmware file and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update process
After the update, your TP-Link Archer Wi-Fi router will be protected from the Mirai malware threat.
Let us know if you have any questions or need any help with this or anything else. Our privacy care team are here to help you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can contact them via the in-app contact options in incognito.
All the best,