Researchers from Pradeo have discovered a new version of the ‘Facestealer’ password-stealing malware, posing as a cartoonifier app called ‘Craftsart Cartoon Photo Tools.’ If you have downloaded a tool called ‘Craftsart Cartoon Photo Tools’ in the past few days, please remove it immediately and contact our support team as your device is most likely infected with Facestealer malware.
What can Facestealer do?
This malware has one purpose: to steal your Facebook username and password. At the time of installation, the user is prompted to log in to their Facebook account, but instead of logging in, it steals your username and password instead. Once the attacker has your username and password, they can do all sorts of nasty things, so you want to ensure that you do not install it under any circumstances.
Please check your device, and if you have this app installed, please remove it immediately:
Craftsart Cartoon Photo Tools
How can you stay safe?
- Only ever install apps from the Google Play Store, and before you install, check how many reviews the app has. (This is the most important thing to do)
- Never install an app from a website that you do not trust. You can use Incognito Website Checker, and we will tell you if it is safe or not.
- During installation, pay attention to the requested permissions and do not grant any permissions that appear unnecessary for the app’s core functionality.
- You can also use Incognito’s App Check tool to check what permissions an installed app already has on your device. If you use this feature, you will be stunned by some of your installed apps’ permissions. I suggest you use this tool to check what apps have what permissions on your device. Does a torchlight app need to be able to make phone calls etc.?
- Keep an eye on battery consumption; if your device goes dead fast, it is a clear sign go malware infection
- Also, keep an eye on network traffic volumes to identify any spikes as this can be a sign of malicious processes running in the background.
Please let me know if you need any more information, and please also share this tip with family, friends, and work colleagues.
All the best,
Incognito Privacy Care team.