Someone in the UK is stealing smartphones and credit cards from people who have stored them in a locker in the gym and is using the two to steal many thousands of pounds from unsuspecting victims. Although this is currently happening in the UK, it could happen anywhere in the world and to anyone. You can read the full story HERE, but in a nutshell:
How does it work:
- You go to the gym, for example, and you leave your phone and your credit card in the locker while you go workout
- A thief breaks into your locker and steals both your phone and your credit card
- Once they have the phone and the card, they register the card on the relevant bank’s app on their phone or computer
- To do this, the bank will send a confirmation SMS message to your phone, which they have stolen
- They take this code and type it into their phone
- They now own your credit card
- They can now clear your credit card by buying expensive luxury goods.
- by the time you have noticed what has happened, they have already cleaned you out
- game over
How do you protect yourself:
- Never leave your phone and credit cards together unattended. It only takes a few seconds.
- Do not allow notifications to be seen on your phone unless you are logged in. If the thief cannot see the notification, they will not be able to pull off this type of robbery. Do this:
- Go to Settings
- Scroll to Messages
- Scroll to Notifications
- Scroll to Show Previews where there are three choices: Always / When Unlocked / Never
- Select either When Unlocked or Never. Your messages will no longer flash up when your phone is locked
- Go to Settings
- Select Lock Screen
- Select Notifications
- Select Don’t Show Notifications.
Your messages will no longer flash up when your phone is locked.
Please share this message with anyone you know.
All the best,
Incognito Privacy Care Team