I hope you are well :-). A couple of months ago, I sent you a tip on how to set up 2-factor authentication for (2FA) for Facebook and Instagram for your mobile device, but now I want to send you more detailed instructions on how to do it from your computer.
Once activated, it means that even if someone has your password, they will not be able to log into your account as they will now need to enter a code that is either sent to your phone or generated from an authenticator app installed on your smartphone.
Please follow these instructions on your computer.
- Go to Facebook in your favorite browser.
- Click your profile icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Click Settings & Privacy.
- Click Settings.
- On the left side, click Security and login.
- Under Two-factor authentication, click edit.
- You now have two options, SMS or an authentication app.
Authentication App Method (I suggest you use this option as it is more secure)
- If you want to use an authentication app such as Google Authenticator, click Use Authentication App
- Install THIS APP from the play store
- Facebook will show you a QR code and a text code. Use your newly installed app to scan the code or enter the code manually into the app
- Click Continue.
- You might also be asked for a six-digit confirmation code. Get the code from your app, type it into Facebook
- click Continue.
- two-factor authentication has been turned on.
- You can now use your authentication app of choice to log in to Facebook.
SMS Method (I do not recommend this option as SMS 2FA is not secure)
- If you wish to have Facebook send you text messages, click Use text message (SMS).
- Type in your mobile phone number and click Continue.
- Facebook will send a text message with a six-digit confirmation number to your mobile phone.
- Type this number in when prompted
- click Continue.
- You will receive a confirmation to let you know that two-factor authentication has been turned on.
Let me know if you need help with this or anything else. We are here to help, so please reach out.
All the best,
Incognito Privacy Care Team