Without going into any details (i am sure you know), there is an ongoing blackout of many communications tools in Iran. People are blocked from communicating with each other on many popular messaging tools such as Whatsapp, Telegram, and Signal. This is not very good news from an Iranian point of view. Luckily, the guys at Signal have a solution that can help them, but we need help to make it happen.
If you want to help, you can follow these instructions, which will turn your device into a proxy that people in this country can use to access the Signal messaging app. Essentially they will be running their communications through you, and because you are not in Iran, it will not be a problem. You cannot help with other messaging tools at the moment, but giving them Signal access is massive.
Follow these instructions from Signal:
What do you need?
To get started, you only need the following:
* A server with ports 80 and 443 available.
* A domain name (or subdomain) that points to the server’s IP address.
The proxy is extremely lightweight. An inexpensive and tiny VPS can easily handle hundreds of concurrent users.
Follow these steps:
* SSH into your server.
* Install Docker, Docker Compose, and git:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install docker docker-compose git
* Clone the Signal TLS Proxy repository:
git clone https://github.com/signalapp/Signal-TLS-Proxy.git
* Enter the repo directory:
* Run the helper script that configures and provisions a TLS certificate from Let’s Encrypt:
* You will be prompted to enter the domain or subdomain pointing to this server’s IP address.
* Use Docker Compose to launch the proxy:
sudo docker-compose up –detach
Your proxy is now running. You do not need to do anything else as everything from this point is automatic.
Share your proxy address carefully:
You can share your proxy with friends and family using this URL format: https://signal.tube/#<your_domain_name>
Note: Share this link privately; otherwise, your server could be added to the blocked list. If you use social media, you can say something like this:
#IRanASignalProxy Reply to this thread if you want the connection details, and follow me so I can DM you the link.
RIP Mahsa Amini 🙏❤️
All the best,