I hope you are well.
Researchers at McAfee have uncovered five google chrome extensions that, in addition to doing what they say they do, also track the user’s online browsing activity. As per the report, which you can read HERE:
“Apart from offering the intended functionality, the extensions also track the user’s browsing activity. Every website visited is sent to servers owned by the extension creator. They do this to insert code into eCommerce websites being visited. This action modifies the cookies on the site so that the extension authors receive affiliate payment for any items purchased.
The users of the extensions are unaware of this functionality and the privacy risk of every site being visited being sent to the servers of the extension authors. “
If you have these chrome extensions installed, you need to remove them immediately:
- Netflix Party – 800,000 downloads
- Netflix Party 2 – 300,000 downloads
- Full Page Screenshot Capture – 200,000 downloads
- FlipShope – 80,000 downloads
- AutoBuy Flash Sales – 20,000 downloads
In addition, McAfee advises users to be cautious when installing Chrome extensions and pay attention to the permissions that they are requesting. If the extension asks for over-the-top permissions such as being able to run on every website you visit, you should not install it.
How to uninstall a Chrome extension
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More More tools Extensions.
- On to the extension you want to remove, click Remove.
- Confirm by clicking Remove.
Let me know if you need any help.