Have you heard about a new Strain of Malware infecting Macs all over the world called Silver Sparrow?
When discovered a couple of weeks ago, it was sitting on over 30,000 infected Macs worldwide. All it was doing was connecting to a command and control server somewhere on the internet looking for instructions. It is really mysterious that it didn’t actually do anything even though it could pretty much do anything with an infected device. It had near full control. We have a really sophisticated weapon, built by a team of brilliant people that is just sitting on Macs all over the world waiting for instruction.
Who built this?
- If it was built by cybercriminals, what are they waiting for? Why not activate it and use it? Infecting 30,000 Macs is a huge achievement!
- Could this be a government tool that was discovered? Could this be another Stuxnet that is just waiting to infect the right computer before ‘activating’? What is it waiting for? If you have 5 mins, you should read the Stuxnet story. It is an amazing read – https://www.forbes.com/2010/10/06/iran-nuclear-computer-technology-security-stuxnet-worm.html?sh=60c71a0e51e8
How do you protect your Mac?
- Make sure you allow Automatic Updates from Apple. Follow these steps on your Mac
- Go to System Preferences
- Go to Software Update
- Tick the box that says ‘Automatically keep my Mac up to date
- Install a good anti-virus solution. All of the top Anti Virus tools can detect and remove Silver Sparrow.
Let me know if you need any help, and please do pass this onto anyone who has a Mac.
Incognito Privacy Care Team