Most of you know this already but never download an app unless it is from the official App Store. You do not know what you are getting, and most of the time, you will infect your device with malware that can steal your data, lock you out of your accounts, and, most importantly, steal your money.
As another example, researchers from Kaspersky have recently found an unofficial version of the WhatsApp messaging app called YoWhatsApp that is deploying a malware trojan known as Triada.
YoWhatsapp is being promoted through fraudulent ads placed on Snaptube, Vidmate, and in the comments of popular YouTube channels, and while it promises to give you the following extra functionality:
- Lock chats
- Send messages to unsaved numbers
- Customize the app with a variety of theme options.
What it really does:
- Subscribes you to expensive subscriptions without your knowledge
- Steals the keys to your WhatsApp account, allowing them to lock you out of your account.
- Gives them full access to your messages and be able to send messages on your behalf.
How do you stay safe?
- Do not download an app called ‘YoWhatsApp’ – It is malware
- Only download from the official app stores.
Please share this message and spread the word.
All the best,
Incognito Privacy Care Team.