In a recent security advisory, Microsoft has warned that hackers are actively exploiting an unpatched vulnerability in Windows to launch targeted attacks against individuals and organizations. Microsoft has not patched this bug yet, and we hope this will be done next week, here is everything you need to know to stay safe.
How does the attack work?
– Hackers send you an infected Microsoft Office file such as a Word document or Excel file.
– When you open the document, you inadvertently launch a malicious Active X control that the hacker has hidden In the file
– This Active X control is designed to exploit the zero-day bug within Windows
– Once opened it allows the hacker to install any malware of their choice and essentially take complete control of your computer
How do you protect yourself?
– Get the latest security update from Microsoft next week when it comes out. I will remind you.
– Until you get the update, you need to be extremely cautious about opening Office files that are sent to you by email.
– If you do not fully trust the source no not open the file and delete the email immediately.
Please treat this very seriously. Until a fix comes from Microsoft opening, any untrusted files will result in a complete system takeover.
Thanks, and let me know if you need anything at all.
All the best,Max Roberts,
Incognito Privacy Care.