We have received reports about a covid-19 vaccine scam that is currently circulating. If you fall victim, you will be giving a remote attacker access to your device, so please be on the lookout.
This is how the scam works:
- You receive an SMS message from an official-looking phone number telling you to download a new version of the covid-19 vaccine registration app.
- If you click on the link, it will take you to a look very official-looking download page.
- The second you download and install this app, you will hand over control of your device to a remote attacker.
How Do You Protect Yourself?
- Be especially on the lookout for any covid vaccine SMS messages.
- Never click on any links sent via SMS unless you are sure that they are legitimate and that you trust the sender.
- Only open links after you have checked that they are safe by running them through the Incognito Website Checker (See below). We will tell you if it is good or not.
- When you log in to any website (especially government, banking or healthcare, always go to their homepage and find the login button.
- You can also disable the installation of apps through “untrusted sources” in your security settings. If you do not know how to do this, let me know, and I can help.
Please let me know if you need any help with this or with anything else.
Incognito Privacy Care Team.