I hope you are well. All is good here :-). Please see below details for three recent data breaches and information about a critical Google Chrome update.
Urgent Chrome Update:
Google has just released Chrome version 102.0.5005.61 for Windows, Mac, and Linux. This version addresses dozens of vulnerabilities and one that can allow an attacker to take control of an affected system. If you are using Google Chrome web browser, update to version 102.0.5005.61 by following these steps:
- Open Chrome
- At the top right, click More
- Click Update Google Chrome. Important: If you can’t find this button, you’re on the latest version.
- Click Relaunch
Three Data Breaches:
Wendy’s – 52,485 breached accounts.
In March 2018, Wendy’s in the Philippines suffered a data breach that impacted over 52k customers and job applicants. The breach exposed extensive personal information, including names, email and IP addresses, physical addresses, phone numbers, and passwords stored as MD5 hashes.
Amart Furniture – 108,940 breached accounts.
In May 2022, the Australian retailer Amart Furniture advised that their warranty claims database hosted on Amazon Web Services had been the target of a cyber attack. Over 100k records containing email and physical addresses, names, phone numbers, and passwords stored as bcrypt hashes were exposed and shared online by the attacker.
Preen.Me – 236,105 breached accounts
In May 2020, social media marketing company Preen. I was the target of a ransom attack that resulted in hundreds of thousands of publicly posted records. Over 236k unique email addresses were exposed in the attack, alongside names, usernames, and links to social media profiles.
If you have an account with these companies, please do the following:
- Change your password and make sure your new password is at least ten characters long and contains an upper case, lower case, number, and symbol.
- You can even use a modified phrase or a line from a song if that helps you remember
- Make sure you do not use the same password twice, leaving you vulnerable to credential stuffing.
- Find a good password manager tool to help you remember all of your passwords. Some of our users say that 1Password is a good tool.
- Check out Incognito’s Email Hack Check tool. All you have to do is enter your email address, and we will tell you instantly if it has been involved in one of the many data breaches that happen every day.
As always, please let us know if you need any help. Wishing you a fantastic rest of your day.
All the best,
Incognito Privacy Care Team.