If you have you every used the secure messaging website ‘Privnote’ please be extra careful as their is an imposter website out there that looks exactly like Privnote but instead of sending your messages in an encrypted way it actually steals your information instead. Here is everything you need to know.
How does Privnote work?
Privnote is a secure website that lets you send private messages to friends and family that automatically delete themselves after opening. This is excellent for critical data you’d rather not have fall into the wrong hands.
Here’s how it works:
- Go to www.privnote.com
- Type in a message and you’ll get a link to your Privnote.
- This link can either be shared online or sent automatically via email.
- Once the recipient opens the note, it’ll vanish as soon as they exit the window.
Privnote is actually a really good service, the tech behind it is solid and it is really simple to use.
What is the problem:
- Hackers have launched a fake website called www.privnotes.com. See how they have put an ‘S’ at the end so that it reads ‘privnotes’ instead of ‘privnote’. This fake website looks exactly the same as www.privnote.com and from a casual users perspective it works in the exact same way.
- The problem is that when a user sends a secured note using this fake website the message gets sent in the same way but the hackers also receive a copy of the message which in most cases will be of a sensitive subject such a password, banking access codes, bit coin addresses or simply a highly personal message.
How do you protect yourself?
- If you are planning to use Privnote to send a sensitive message make sure you go to www.privnote.com and not www.privnotes.com
- To be extra safe always type the website into the address bar of your preferred internet browser and never click on it from a search result.
Please let me know if you need anything in relation to this or with anything else.
All the best,
Incognito Privacy Care Team.